By Ilan Halévi
Read Online or Download A history of the Jews: Ancient and Modern PDF
Best israel & palestine books
The thesis of The darkish part of Zionism, bobbing up from new histories missed by way of the media, is that either the early Zionists and the Israelis sought their defense via army domination of the indigenous Arab inhabitants of Palestine. This technique required fending off negotiations with the Palestinians in addition to demonstrating Israeli army may via wars initiated opposed to Arab states against an Israeli takeover of Palestine.
The Jewish Radical correct is the 1st accomplished research of Zionist Revisionist notion within the Twenties and Thirties and of its ideological legacy in modern day Israel. The Revisionists, lower than the management of Ze'ev Jabotinsky, provided an intensive view of Jewish background and a progressive imaginative and prescient for its destiny.
This publication deals a theoretically-informed research of ways within which Israeli nationwide id has formed Israel's overseas coverage. by means of linking household identification politics to Israeli overseas coverage, it finds how a drawback of Israeli identification infected the controversy in Israel over the Oslo peace procedure.
This can be a publication that explores nationalism, intractability, the purpose of no go back, and the jurisdiction over warfare crimes. In Gaza: legislations, Morality and Politics, editor Raimond Gaita brings jointly a thought-provoking selection of essays by means of specialists almost about clash. The ebook is a significant other to a sequence of lectures of an analogous identify held in 2009 at Australian Catholic college.
- The Founding Myths of Israel
- Israeli F-15 Eagle Units in Combat (Combat Aircraft)
- Explorations in Jewish Historical Experience (Paperback): The Civilizational Dimension (Jewish Identities in a Changing World)
- A Clash of Heroes: Brandeis, Weizmann, and American Zionism (Studies in Jewish History)
- Jerusalem: Illustrated History Atlas
- Israel in History: The Jewish State in Comparative Perspective
Extra resources for A history of the Jews: Ancient and Modern
14. Especially to the Spartan model. See Pierre Vidal-Naquet's work, especially his preface to Josephus' Guerre des Juifs (Paris, Editions de Minuit, 1977), and the historical essay on this period in the collection, Les Juifs, la mémoire et le présent (Paris, Maspéro, 1981). ) Hellenism and the Rise of Rome (London, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1968). 15. Máxime Rodinson, " F r o m the Jewish Nation to the Jewish Problem"; see note 1, chapter one in present work. 16. André Neher, L'existence juive (Paris, Editions du Seuil, 1962) p.
A Political History from the Bar-Khokhba War to the Arab Conquest (Oxford, Basil Blackwell, 1971). 59 The Domain Yemen, had poured over the fertile valleys of the north-the Nile, the Jordan, the Tigris and the Euphrates - numerous waves of migration that had been absorbed one after the other by cities and empires. The most recent of these waves was Nabataean, but the ancient settlement of the Israelite tribes in the land of Canaan itself can be considered as one of those demographic alluvia deposited by the desert on the valleys of the Fertile Crescent!
At the time of the Muslim-Arab conquest, the majority of the Jews were still engaged in agriculture and manual labour... The Jewish people, too, more or less, disappeared as an agricultural people during the seventh and eighth centuries, but, unlike other ancient populations, returned to life as a nation of merchants and artisans. This transformation was due to the great "bourgeois revolution" of the ninth century (which has not yet been sufficiently investigated ). Due to this revolution, the civilization of the Middle East during early mediaeval times was characterized by its commerce, industry and bureaucratic organization, at a time when western Europe was mainly agricultural and was dominated by knights and feudal lords.